There are many versions of peach and pineapple salsa. Most, unlike this recipe, call for mango and don’t use tomatoes with chilies. However, this version is different and a family favorite (especially loved by my dad). The acidity of the tomatoes and its effects on the fruit and flavors basically makes an amazing flavorful blend and twist on an otherwise traditional salsa.
Note: If you decide that you want to add mango then be aware that the mango flavor pretty much takes over so use very sparingly unless you really, really want it to taste like mango and really not be able to taste anything else.
All but a half cup of the peaches goes into a blender or food processor to be pulsed about six times then the remaining peaches are stirred in.
Refrigerate in sealed glass jar or jug for 48 hours to allow the acidity of the tomatoes to work their magic and for the flavors to meld.
Shake or stir before serving.
Tam's Peach Pineapple Salsa
My dad's most favorite salsa! It is basically a traditional salsa but with a twist. Make two days ahead to allow the acidity of the tomatoes to work their magic on the added fruit. Makes a little under a quart.
- 1/2 c. well drained crushed canned pineapple
- 1 c. fresh ripened peaches or well drained canned peaches, finely diced, divided
- 1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes with chilis
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper (may remove or keep some or all of the seeds)
- 1/4 cup medium red/purple onion or green onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup sweet baby red bell peppers, finely diced
- 1 to 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1/16 (a pinch) teaspoon dried crushed red pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp sugar or sucralose, optional
- Optional: hot sauce to taste (i.e. Tabasco, habanero, or Tiger)
Add all but half a cup of peaches to blender or food processor and pulse about six times. Stir in remaining peaches. Refrigerate in sealed glass jar or jug for 48 hours. Shake or stir before serving.
Leave a Reply